|“||Riffs are masterful musicians. Very little is known about these complex Monsters, but they do have some distinct and unusual habits. For example, Riffs use their flexible toes to select random objects from the ground which they inspect, then eat.||”|
|— Monster Bio|
Riff is a quad-element Monster that can be found on Air Island. It is best obtained by breeding Congle and Noggin. By default, its breeding time is 24 hours long. Riff has a decent coin production, and can be useful for beginners before getting monsters with higher coin production.
Instrument: Electric guitar
The Riff Monster's contribution to an island's song is playing an instrument resembling an electric guitar. The guitar is not actually electric, nor is it a real instrument; it is another monster that shares a symbiotic relationship with the Riff. The guitar monster produces sounds matching its real-life counterpart.
The following pairs of 2-element monsters can be used to breed a Riff:
However, the combination of a 3-element with 1-element monster has a higher rate of success:
- Of these, Congle+Noggin is the best combination, as it has the lowest average breeding times in case of breeding failure.
There is also a small chance of producing a Riff from a failed breeding attempt, using a Riff and a non-Single Element Monster.
Like all Quad Element Monsters, Riffs are hard to breed and these combinations may result in a parent monster as offspring instead. However, if you are fortunate enough to already possess both a Riff and a Rare Riff, the two can be bred together to create another Riff with a 100% success rate.
The Rare version of any monster can be used for breeding instead of the common version.
Every monster has different things that they like. For every unique object that they like that's placed near the monster, the monster's happiness will increase by 25%. Placing more than one of the same liked item near a monster will still only increase its happiness by 25%. If there's a Unity Tree on the island, items don't need to be near the monsters. Below are the things liked by Riff:
- Toe Jammer (requires level 4)
- Bass String Bridge (level 19)
- Leafy Sea Dragon (level 20)
- Crumpler Tree (level 19) ()
See the Likes page to view a complete list of all monsters' likes.
- Main article: Costumes
|Always available||30 (discounted)|
45 (full price)
|Always available||50,000 (discounted)|
75,000 (full price)
|Weekly Versus Match||25 (discounted)|
37 (full price)
Power of Luff
|Season of Love Series||30|
Used in Breeding
|Riff is used in the following breeding combinations:|
Earning Rate and Maximum Income
Earning rate is in Coins per minute and depends on Happiness % (Likes increase Happiness) and Monster Level. Each Monster also has a maximum amount of income it can hold at a time. Increasing the Monster's Level also increases this limit.
Each monster needs to be fed four times before it reaches the next level. Increasing the monster's level increases the coins earned per minute, as well as the maximum coins earned.
|The food per level table:|
More info can be found in the Feeding article.
While trying to breed other Monsters (particularly Monsters with a very low chance of breeding), the following Wublins, Celestials, and Vessels can be used to "dispose of" Riff eggs immediately instead of putting them into a Nursery and having that Nursery not be available.
Note that bred Monster eggs can only be "disposed of" into inactive Wublins, Celestials, and Vessels; active ones do not accept Monster eggs. Also note that inactive Monsters to which you have already disposed the number of Riff eggs that it accepts, will no longer be available as a "recycle bin" for such eggs.
Possible Monster Names
To see all possible names for Riff, see Monster Names. Many of Riff's names are related to guitars.
- Cormic - References the guitar brand 'McCormick Guitars'.
- Frett - A fret is a section along the neck of the guitar.
- Geet - The first syllable of 'guitar'. It also could be a reference to Riff's original name, Geetar.
- Grind - A grind pedal is an electronic device that causes a guitar's sound to become more distorted.
- Hagly - Unknown.
- Luftgitar - German for 'air guitar'. This makes sense, as Riff is the Quad of Air Island and plays a guitar.
- Malak - Arabic for 'angel'. It could reference the wings on its head.
- Pickles - Could refer to picks, which are small plastic wafers that are used to play the guitar.
- Scorch - References the guitar brand 'Scorch Guitar Strings'.
- Tate - The last name of Geoff Tate, a metal guitarist in the band Queensrÿche.
- Thrash - A violent type of guitar playing style.
- Xever - References the guitar brand 'Xaviere Acoustic Guitars'.
- Riff's name comes from the term, guitar riff.
- The Riff has the highest income of all quad-element monsters.
- Occasionally, the Riff will use its wings to hover a short distance above the ground during its song.
- The name of "Riff" remains constant in all languages.
- The Riff's wing placement seems to move everywhere; in the My Singing Monsters Christmas wallpaper, the Riff's wings are shown up high, by its hair; but on an image for Schmoochle leaving, its wings are lower on its body.
- It was shown here that the Riffs original name was Geetar.
- It is possible that this may have just been a codename for the monster.
- The Riff's guitar is similar to the Rare Riff (green and scaly), and the guitar of the Rare Riff is similar to the usual Riff (orange and shaggy-looking).
- The Riff is the only Quad Element Monster available at level 7, because it does not use Plant nor Fire.
- On the Air and Gold Islands, Riff bobs its head every third beat. On Tribal Island, it appears to be every two beats instead.
- The Riff's part on Tribal Island is somewhat similar to the intro of the song, Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana.
Magical Double Element
Magical Triple Element
Rare Single Natural and Fire Element
Rare Double Natural and Fire Element
Rare Triple Natural and Fire Element
Rare Quad Natural and Fire Element
Rare Single Magical Element
Rarethereal Double Element
Epic Single Natural and Fire Element
Epic Double Natural and Fire Element
Epic Triple Natural and Fire Element
Epic Quad Natural and Fire Element