|“||The eyeless Maw is a refined combination of Cold and Water elements. Its dense fur acts as a general sensory organ, and provides efficient insulation to maintain a liquid body interior. Maws are a little mouthy. Tonguey too.||”|
|— Monster Biography|
The Maw is a big, furry pink ball-like monster with red bumps on the side of its body, and yellow spots of fur on its top. It has a massive mouth with purple lips.
When idle, the Maw occasionally sticks out its large tongue and then pulls it back in, and sometimes it hops.
Voice actor: Christopher Elliot
The Maw sings "deedee" or "dee" with its mouth, in an Alto key, often going to D♯/E♭4. Its sound can be easily distinguished among other monsters, and their contribution varies with each island.
The Maw also sings using syncopation, where it sings in a rhythm that is unusual to basic rhythms.
Earning Rate and Maximum Income
Earning rate is in coins per hour and depends on Happiness % (Likes increase Happiness), also each monster has a limit to how much income it can hold at a time. Increasing the monster's level increases the limit.
Each monster needs to be fed four times before it reaches the next level. Increasing the monster's level increases the coins earned per minute, as well as the maximum coins earned.
|The food per level table:|
More info can be found in the Feeding article.
Every monster has different things that they like. For every unique object that they like that's placed near the monster, the monster's happiness will increase by 25%. Placing more than one of the same liked item near a monster will still only increase its happiness by 25%. If there's a Unity Tree on the island, items don't need to be near the monsters. Below are the things liked by Maw:
- Pummel (requires level 9) ()
- Pango (level 7) (, , )
- Wild Bagpipe (level 7)
- Pipes of Cicado (level 10)
- Dragoon Statue (level 16) ()
See the Likes page to view a complete list of all monsters' likes.
Used in Breeding
|Maw is used in the following breeding combinations:|
Wublin Egg Consumption
While trying to breed other monsters (particularly monsters with a very low chance of breeding), the following Wublins can be used to "dispose of" Maw eggs immediately instead of putting them into a Nursery and having that Nursery not be available.
|Monster Egg||Wublin 1||Wublin 2|
|10 eggs||1 egg|
Note that bred monster eggs can only be "disposed of" into inactive Wublin statues; active Wublins do not accept monster eggs. Also note that inactive Wublin statues to which you have already disposed the number of Maw eggs that Wublin accepts, will no longer be available as a "recycle bin" for such eggs.
Celestial Egg Consumption
While trying to breed other Monsters (particularly Monsters with a very low chance of breeding), the following Celestials can be used to "dispose of" Maw eggs immediately instead of putting them into a Nursery and having that Nursery not be available.
|Monster Egg||Celestial 1||Celestial 2||Celestial 3||Celestial 4||Celestial 5||Celestial 6|
|35 eggs||15 eggs||9 eggs||7 eggs||5 eggs||5 eggs|
Note that bred Monster eggs can only be "disposed of" into inactive Celestial statues; active Celestials do not accept Monster eggs. Also note that inactive Celestial statues to which you have already disposed the number of Maw eggs that Celestial accepts, will no longer be available as a "recycle bin" for such eggs.
To see how efficient Maw is at generating resources compared to other monsters check:
"Maw" is a synonym of "mouth", and relates to the monsters' main physical trait.
Possible Monster Names
To see all possible names for Maw, see Monster Names.
- Main article: Costumes
On October 28th, 2012, it was the Maw's turn to dress up with Groucho Glasses, complete with nose, mustache, eyebrows, and it used a pair of fake ears to hold it up. The Maw wore this outfit again for the 2013 and 2014 season.
|Weekly Versus Match||40 (discounted)|
60 (full price)
|Always available||25,000 (discounted)|
37,500 (full price)
|Weekly Quest||20 (discounted)|
30 (full price)
- When a Maw is muted, its mouth moves to look like it is snoring.
- The Maw's yellow spots disappear while it's in costume for Halloween; even the parts of its body that aren't covered don't show the spots.
- Originally, the Maw was going to have sharp teeth. However the sharp teeth were instead used for Epic Maw.
- The Maw's mouth appears to go farther into its body than its body's actual size.
- The Maw, Potbelly, Brump, Rooba and Gob are the only monsters that don't have visible eyes. However, its rare and epic counterparts have eyes.
- There is a bug where Maw’s mouth was floating when it was its part of the song on Air Island. This has occurred since late-March 2020, on around Version 2.3.8.
- A group of Maws is called a trouble.
- Maw is the 1st monster to have a 3 letter name, the other being Sox, Sol and Gob.
- Maw is one of the only monsters with a Breeding/Incubation time of 30 minutes, along with Drumpler and Fwog.
- Maw, Toe Jammer, Pummel, Spunge, Scups, Barrb, Nebulob, Jellbilly, Blipsqueak, and Plixie are the only monsters with a liquid interior.
Magical Double Element
Magical Triple Element
Rare Single Natural and Fire Element
Rare Double Natural and Fire Element
Rare Triple Natural and Fire Element
Rare Quad Natural and Fire Element
Rare Single Magical Element
Rare Triple Magical Element
Rarethereal Double Element
Epic Double Element
Epic Triple Element