- Monsters are sometimes organized in Classes, which group together monsters that share similar fundamental characteristics. For example:
- Breeding: Monsters of the same class usually can only breed with each other, if at all;
- Islands: Some islands can, either only or mostly, house members of a certain class;
- Currency: Usually, Members of the same class produce the same types of Currency.
The characteristics that define a class are not completely rigid. For example, if a monster moves to a different island via Teleportation, the currency it produces could change and it may become able to breed with monsters of other classes.
Monsters of different classes may also have different life cycles. Most Monsters go from egg, to baby, to adult (with baby monsters only seen in Dawn of Fire), but some classes do not follow this pattern. For example, Supernatural Monsters go from Inactive to Active, Celestials in My Singing Monsters go from Dormant to Reborn, and Glowbes, Dipsters and Celestials (in DoF) have only one stage.
List of Classes
- Main article: Natural Monsters
- Main article: Fire Monsters
The Fire Class is manifested by the element of Fire, and are found not only on Fire Islands, but also on Natural and Magical Islands. Fire Monsters used to be part of the Natural class, but this belief was challenged on March 24, 2020.
- Main article: Magical Monsters
Contains monsters with the Psychic, Faerie, Bone, and/or Light elements. Introduced on September 25, 2019, with the change of Fire Frontier to Psychic Island. On their own islands, Magical Islands, Magical Monsters produce coins, however on the new Magical Sanctum they produce Shards.
- Main article: Ethereal Monsters
The Ethereal Class consists of the Ethereal, Rarethereal and Epic Ethereal Monsters, which cannot breed anywhere except on Ethereal Island. Manifested on the Plasma, Mech, Shadow, Crystal, and Poison elements.
- Main article: Seasonal Monsters
Contains monsters that can only be bred on Special Occasions on most islands. Each Natural Island can harbor at least one species of seasonal monsters, and both Fire Haven and Fire Oasis have the same seasonal. The Seasonal elements have the same or a similar name as their respective events: Spooktacle, Yay, Love, Eggy, Summer, Feast-Ember, Beat Hereafter, Anniversary Month, and Crescendo Moon. All Seasonal monsters can be bred at all times on Seasonal Shanty.
- Main article: Dipsters
Dipsters are small monsters named after musical notes. They are the only monsters purchasable with Keys, and, unlike other monsters, do not occupy any beds in the Castle. They all have the "Dipster" element, and cannot breed nor be bred. There can only be a maximum of ten of each kind of Dipster in each island. They are present on the Natural, Fire and Ethereal islands.
- Main article: Legendary Monsters
- Main article: Shugafam
The Shugafam can be bred on Shugabush Island, and all breeding combos there must include one Shugabush - which can be bought there or bred with a Bowgart and Clamble on Plant Island - and one Natural Monster on Shugabush Island which can be bought, teleported from the natural islands, or bred via breeding failure.
- Main article: Werdos
Contains the Werdos, the only known monsters that sing in full, clear English. They and the Fire Monsters are the only monsters that can be purchased with Relics. Unlike other Legendary Monsters, Werdos can't be bred at all, and cannot breed with one another either.
- Main article: Mythical Monsters
Mythical Monsters were once exclusive to the PS Vita version of the game, but Big Blue Bubble's contract with that company has since expired, and they were introduced into other consoles in Version 2.3.2. They consist of G'joob, on Plant Island and Yawstrich on Air island., which are each bred by a certain combination of 3 element Monsters. They themselves cannot breed, although a kickstarter campaign is in progress to release more mythicals for the rest of the Natural Islands and both of the Fire Islands. This may lead to a Mythical island like we have seen for the seasonals where they can breed.
- Main article: Supernatural Monsters
The Supernatural Class only contains monsters with the element of Electricity, and is associated with Wublins and Wublin Island, as well as the Wubbox and its rare counterpart. Similar to Celestials in My Singing Monsters, they need to "wake up" using other monsters or their eggs in order to sing and produce currency.
- Main article: Superethereal Monsters
The Superethereal class also contains monsters with the Electricity element, although it is limited to the Wubbox and Rare Wubbox on Ethereal island (though as a subclass for Rare Island Ethereal Wubbox). This is due to Ethereal Island not being a Natural Island, but being one in the Pocket Dimension.
- Main article: Celestials
They are class of 12 monsters that originate from Dawn of Fire. In said game, they inhabit Starhenge and are all obtained from the Daily Login Game or by purchasing them for 1,250 . According to in-game lore, each of the Celestials is connected to a certain Natural, Ethereal or Supernatural element, even though they only have the unique "Celestial" Element.
The Celestials reappear in the original game as well. Unlike other monsters, (with the exception of Wublins) they need to be "reborn" in this game in order to sing and produce currency. This can be done by breeding eggs from monsters on the five Natural Islands, plus Fire Haven and Shugabush Island, and zapping them to Celestial Island.
- Main article: Rare Monsters
The Rare class is a little different than the other classes (aside from the Epic Class). This class contains Rare Monsters, which are variants of other monsters that have a modified appearance. They have higher earning rates than their common cousins, but they make the same sounds as their normal counterparts (excluding the Rare Wubbox). Rare monsters usually have a subclass added to them in parenthesis, such as the Rare Toe Jammer which would be classified as a Rare (Natural). The subclass of every Rare monster is essentially the main class of their common counterpart.
- Main article: Epic Monsters
This class contains Epic Monsters, which are variants of other monsters that have a modified appearance. They have much higher earning rates than their Common and Rare counterparts, but they make the same sounds as both counterparts (excluding the Epic Wubbox). They also cannot breed with any monster, similar to the Dipster Class. They have similar classifications to the Rare class.
The Spectral Class contains Glowbes, which are unlike any other monster. They do not sing nor produce currency, among other things. Glowbes come in virtually unlimited colors, which, in a way, makes Spectral the largest class in the entire franchise.
- Most classes have an island that focuses specifically on said class:
- The Natural Class has the Natural Islands, Mirror Islands, Gold Island, Composer Island, Tribal Island (which can house Kayna), and The Continent in DoF.
- The Fire Class has Fire Haven and Fire Oasis (which can house certain Naturals as well), as well as The Continent in DoF (upon which they're part of the Natural Class).
- The Ethereal Class has Ethereal Island (which can house the Superethereal Wubbox and Rare Wubbox)
- The Magical Class have the 4 Magical Islands: Light Island, Psychic Island, Faerie Island, and Bone Island (all of which can house certain Naturals and Fire Monsters), as well as the teleporting magical island Magical Sanctum which only houses Magicals.
- The Supernatural Class has Wublin Island
- The Legendary Class has Shugabush Island (which can house certain Naturals as well, but not any monsters from the Werdo subclass)
- The Celestial Class has Starhenge in DoF and Celestial Island in MSM.
- The Seasonal Class has Seasonal Shanty
- Because only the Natural (including Fire Monsters) and Celestial classes appear in Dawn of Fire, it is unknown if the other classes (excluding Supernatural Class) go through a "baby" form, as well.